Nixon is California’s iconic watch and accessories brand, born from action sports culture and always pushing the never been done. As a company we are creative, we are ambitious, we take risks. Above all, we want to build great products with the world’s youth as our audience. We collaborate with the best in the business: brands, athletes, retailers, causes. People who share our mindset and our belief that we can make an impact, one detail at a time.
We are proud of more than 20+ years of history, our roots and heritage while steadily aspiring to rise to new horizons, develop and grow our brand and team of ridiculously talented individuals further. Working for Nixon means being part of an international, dynamic, and passionate group of people, multi-lingual, multi-channel and multi-category. We are as diverse as the environment we operate in, stretching all the way from our origins in the action sports industry up to the lifestyle market, electronics, and premium watchmaking. We believe that passion drives performance and that perfection comes from always giving your best. We care about the little things, while thinking big.
The Digital Designer reports to the Global Creative Director, and is responsible for the design of Nixon.com, email marketing and a wide array of digital marketing materials. The Digital Designer implements the brand standards and seasonal direction set by the Creative Director and overseen by the Art Director. He or She is a member of the Creative Studio team that creates innovative and engaging digital creative across all marketing, ecommerce and digital projects.
This position involves sketching, wire framing and designing everything from landing pages and emails to website updates. This position is required to up their sleeves and do production work as needed to implement the assets being used within their projects. This position will ensure that the consumer journey from email to Nixon.com is a well-designed experience and provide flexible solutions based on company goals, standards and feedback. The ideal candidate should possess inspiring and excellent visual design skills and ability to create brand excitement and engagement, as well as familiarity with common UI design patterns and conventions, and have proven experience with user experience. The ideal candidate will possess strong communication skills in order to provide a design perspective to teammates and project stakeholders. Attention to detail and a strong design sensibility are essential.
This position works closely with the Studio Team and will have an immediate, consumer-level impact on the Nixon brand. They should be passionate about design and providing the best user experience across all devices. They ensure efficient and nimble creation of this content working in collaboration with stakeholders. They will ideate, create and produce site and channel-ready creative. They will help implement best practices in UX and UI in collaboration with the cross-functional team. They will be responsible for juggling a variety of deliverables in a timely manner to feed a growing and dynamic digital direct to consumer business.
Key Function and Responsibilities
- Design and create web ready artwork for weekly web refreshes, site sales, new page templates, email, social, and other digital content.
- Create graphic assets, banners, responsive landing pages, blog content and websites.
- Concept and create digital marketing assets for email and support paid advertising efforts based on a creative brief provided by marketing, which are aligned with industry best practices and historical performance data.
- Understand and interpret the Nixon brand in the creation of all digital assets.
- Partner with creative colleagues on photography and copy needs for creative assignments.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders in the development of concepts for all digital marketing. Abide by the review process and timelines.
- Knowledge and track record of successful audience “connection planning” between digital marketing assets, target audience segments, and site user experience to maximize business objectives.
- Stay abreast of industry best practices, new technologies, and consumer trends.
- Self-manage workload based on deadlines.
- Familiarize and work with email deployment programs.
- Work closely with the creative team, eComm site managers, digital marketing and other cross-functional resources to achieve brand engagement and achieve performance metrics.
- Design high-fidelity prototypes to communicate design concepts to stakeholders.
- Design mobile-first and mobile-focused whilst handling desktop conversion as well across viewports; ensure that all customer-brand connection points meet both business objectives and customer expectations.
- Multitask and manage multiple small-to-large size projects ensuring all projects are completed with quick turn-around and a high level of attention to detail.
- Assure that each graphic element meets production specifications including resolution, ADA compliance, web-safe colors and web size-optimization/sizing.
- Provide photo editing, retouching and image manipulation skills including sizing, optimization, collage and layering in collaboration with the internal studio team.
- Stays abreast of any industry-wide changes in design philosophy and any new tools and technologies being used for graphic design on the web.
Position has significant interaction with many areas of Nixon, necessitating excellent communication, collaboration and relationship-building skills. This role interacts closely with the Creative Studio team, Creative Director, Art Director, Studio Manager, Photographers, Copywriter(s), Site Managers, Content Manager, Digital Marketing Specialist, Sr. Digital Marketing Manager, Dev team and outside development agency as well as other internal members that contribute to ecommerce projects and deliverables.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and/or art school degree; high school diploma required.
- 4+ years of experience in relevant field required.
- Experience working with a Direct To Consumer eCommerce team and varying web properties.
- A solid understanding of the design principles and the ability to apply them to complex tasks.
- Creative problem solving, communication skills, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- A strong aesthetic sense and excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to carry out a concept from start to completion and work independently.
- Multi-tasking: execute more than one design brief at a time.
Technical Skills and Knowledge
- Proficient in design related UI programs. Strong aptitude (4+ years) with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).
- Proficient in UX and/or prototyping tools (ex: Sketch, InVision, Studio, Adobe XD).
- Experience with helping design mobile sites and responsive websites.
- Experience with web-based PM tools such as Basecamp, Asana, etc.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Preferred: Experience with motion graphics and video editing.
Come join the Nixon Team! Please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Digital Designer in the subject line.
This position is in Carlsbad, CA, USA and will require on-site presence.
Due to the volume of resumes we cannot respond to everyone personally, but we do thank you for your interest and for reaching out to Nixon. Please, no phone calls. Thank you!